Thursday, November 12, 2015

My favorite decorating secret

Over the years people seem to comment often on how they love my decorating "style". Oh, you mean the "I got it at Goodwill" style? Um, yeah...pretty sure that's not one you'll find on HGTV.

I think many of us look at someone's home or pictures in a magazine and assume it cost a lot of money to get a similar look. Well, if you're perusing Southern Living then yes, it probably did cost a pretty penny. If you're looking at MY house then not so much. The majority of my decorating items were purchased at yard/estate sales or thrift stores. When on the lookout for things you might be able to use, try to look at an item for what it COULD be rather than it's current condition. Elbow grease, spray paint and a little sandpaper can transform just about anything.

One of the biggest struggles most people have with decorating their own space is viewing it with fresh eyes. We live with our stuff day in and day out. You've walked past that vase sitting in the same spot for three years and you probably don't even notice it anymore. So before you run out and buy new things for your space consider this idea.

The easiest way to break out of the decorating rut is to "shop your house". The best news is this is one shopping spree that won't break the bank!

1. Start by going room by room and collecting anything and everything you might use to decorate: vases, books, lamps, pictures, candles, trays, boxes, baskets, blankets, throw pillows, your kid's rock collection...anything that makes you smile. 

2. Put all the items on the dining room table so you can get a good idea of what you have. Try grouping like items together. Maybe you didn't even notice you have several crosses or a collection of wooden picture frames. Grouping like items together makes more of a statement.

3. Choose a theme. This could be a favorite color or maybe reflect an upcoming holiday. My current mantel reflects my love for Texas and home. I usually do a fall theme, but loved the Texas one so much I've left it up a bit longer. It will soon be replaced with Christmas...my favorite!


4. Choose one area of your home to focus on: your fireplace mantel, a bookcase or the tops of your kitchen cabinets. Do NOT try to redecorate your entire house in one afternoon...it may leave you feeling a bit crazy....not that I'm speaking from experience or anything. Choosing a small area to work on will give you a sense of accomplishment and motivation to try other areas.

5. Get busy! Begin by placing larger items and then filling in with smaller ones. I'm sure there is a formula for this, but I didn't go to design school so I just know what I like. I know what I think looks good, so I play with the arrangement until it makes me happy. Sometimes it comes together quickly and other times I have to keep moving stuff around for awhile, maybe even walking away for awhile if I feel frustrated...again, not that I'm speaking from experience here or anything.

That's my secret - do what makes you happy! Forget Pinterest or HGTV. You're the one that lives in your house on a daily basis. You want your space to bring a smile to your face. To be a place where your family and friends can gather and feel comfortable. A space that is both functional and reflects YOU. 

If you're still feeling stumped or overwhelmed by the process grab a friend to help. Two makes the process double the fun!

When your'e done snap a photo and send it to me. I'd love to see how it all turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to let me know you're reading! Leave me a link and I'll visit you.

Enjoy this post? Check these out.

Related Posts with Thumbnails